Does Insurance Cover Dietician Services? The Diet Dilemma Solved

Does Insurance Cover Dietician Services?

An image to Illustrate does insurance cover dietician
How to use your insurance to get dietician services: a comprehensive guide. Discover the different types of insurance plans, their policies and benefits for dietician services, and how to contact your insurance company to verify your eligibility and benefits/PHOTO: Files

Dieticians are health professionals who provide evidence-based nutrition advice and counselling to help people improve their health and well-being.

Dietician services can be beneficial for people with various health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, food allergies, and more.

However, many people may wonder if their insurance covers dietician services, and if so, how much and under what circumstances.

Here, we will explore the different types of insurance plans, their coverage for dietician services, and how to find out if your insurance covers dietician services.

Types of Insurance Plans

There are many types of insurance plans in the United States, and they may have different policies and benefits for dietician services.

Some of the major types of insurance plans are:

1. Private insurance

These are insurance plans that are offered by private companies, such as employers, marketplaces, or agents.

Some examples of private insurance companies are Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, United Healthcare, and Humana.

Private insurance plans may vary in their coverage for dietician services, depending on the specific plan, provider, and location.

Some plans may cover dietician services as part of their preventive care services, which means that you may not have to pay any copay, coinsurance, or deductible.

Other plans may require prior authorization, referral, network, or frequency limitations for dietician services.

You may also have to pay a copay, coinsurance, or deductible, depending on your plan and provider.

2. Medicare

This is a federal health insurance program for people who are 65 years or older, have certain disabilities, or have end-stage renal disease.

Medicare covers dietician services for people who have diabetes, kidney disease or have had a kidney transplant in the last 36 months.

Medicare also covers dietician services for people who need nutrition therapy after a hospital stay.

It pays 80% of the approved amount for dietician services, and you may have to pay the remaining 20% unless you have a supplemental insurance plan that covers the difference.

You may also need a referral from your doctor and a written plan of care for dietician services.

3. Medicaid

This is a joint federal and state health insurance program for people who have low incomes and limited resources.

Medicaid covers dietician services for people who have certain health conditions, such as:

  • diabetes, obesity, hypertension, or malnutrition

However, the coverage for dietician services may vary by state, as each state has its own rules and regulations for Medicaid.

Some states may cover dietician services as part of their preventive care services, while others may require prior authorization, referral, network, or frequency limitations.

You may also have to pay a copay, coinsurance, or deductible, depending on your state and provider.

How to Find Out If Your Insurance Covers Dietician Services

The best way to find out if your insurance covers dietician services is to contact your insurance company directly and ask them about your coverage and benefits.

You may also need to provide them with some information, such as:

  • Your insurance plan name and number
  • Your reason for seeking dietician services
  • The name and credentials of the dietician you want to see
  • The diagnosis code (ICD-10) and procedure code (CPT) for dietician services

Conclusion

Dietician services can help you improve your health and well-being by providing you with personalized and evidence-based nutrition advice and counselling.

However, the cost and coverage of dietician services can vary depending on your insurance plan and provider.

Therefore, you should check with your insurance company before starting dietician services to verify your eligibility and benefits.

You should also compare different dietician options and choose the one that suits your needs and goals best.

READ ALSO:

Spread the love

Leave a Comment