Established in 1792 in Philadelphia, the Insurance Company of North America (INA) holds the distinction of being the United States’ oldest stock insurance company.
Over the 19th and 20th centuries, INA stood as one of the largest insurance firms in America.
In 1982, it merged with Connecticut General Life to create CIGNA and subsequently, in 1991, it was acquired by the global insurance heavyweight ACE Limited, which is now known as Chubb Limited.
This article delves into the storied history, notable achievements, and present-day status of this venerable institution.
About Insurance Company of North America
In 1792, a group of investors convened at the Pennsylvania State House, known today as Independence Hall, to lay the foundation for what would become the Insurance Company of North America (INA).
With a starting capital of $600,000, the company offered shares at $10 each, marking its inception.
Initially, INA’s primary focus was on marine insurance, exemplified by its maiden policy issued to the mercantile firm of Conyngham, Nesbitt & Co., covering the ship America’s journey from Philadelphia to Derry.
It diversified into other insurance segments like fire and life insurance, setting a precedent for the industry’s evolution.
INA also led the way in insurance innovations, pioneering policies for various modes of transportation, including steamboats, railroads, automobiles, airplanes, and even space travel.
Beyond its insurance contributions, INA played a prominent role in American history, safeguarding important events and projects.
Notable endeavors it insured included the Louisiana Purchase, the Panama Canal, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Apollo missions, leaving an indelible mark on the nation’s journey.
How to join the Insurance Company of North America
As a subsidiary of Chubb Limited, INA extends a diverse array of insurance products and services to both individuals and businesses on a global scale.
Becoming an INA customer is easily achievable by visiting their website, where you can locate a local agent.
Additionally, you have the option to obtain quotes for various coverage types, including:
For those interested in joining INA as an employee, a world of career opportunities awaits.
Explore their career options on their website and apply for positions that align with your skills and interests.
INA’s commitment to fostering a thriving work environment is reflected in the information available on its site, where you can delve into its corporate culture, values, benefits, and diversity initiatives.
INA continually seeks talented and motivated individuals who resonate with their vision of excellence and innovation.
Table of contacts for the Insurance Company of North America
If you need to contact the INA for any reason, you can use the following information:
You can also visit their website here for more information and resources.
Founder of Insurance Company of North America
The founder of the INa was John Maxwell Nesbitt, a merchant and underwriter who was elected as the first president of the company in 1792.
He was born in Ireland in 1749 and immigrated to Philadelphia in 1765.
Maxwell became a successful businessman and a prominent citizen in his adopted city.
He was also involved in various civic and charitable activities, such as:
- founding the Philadelphia Dispensary for the Poor
- serving as a trustee of the University of Pennsylvania
Nesbitt led the INA for 18 years until he died in 1810.
He was succeeded by his son-in-law, Thomas Willing Francis, who continued to expand and diversify the company’s operations.
Nesbitt is remembered as a visionary leader who laid the foundation for one of America’s oldest and most respected insurance companies.
The parent organization of the Insurance Company of North America
The parent organization of the INA is Chubb Limited, a global leader in property and casualty insurance.
Chubb Limited was formed in 2016 by the merger of ACE Limited and Chubb Corporation.
The combined company adopted the Chubb name as a tribute to its predecessor’s reputation for quality and service.
Operating across 54 countries and territories, Chubb Limited offers a diverse portfolio of insurance solutions catering to individuals, families, businesses, and organizations.
As of December 31, 2020, Chubb Limited manages assets exceeding $177 billion and boasts a substantial $40 billion in gross written premiums.
Notably, Chubb Limited is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange, where it is identified by the symbol CB.
Table of financial details for the Insurance Company of North America
As a subsidiary of Chubb Limited, the INA does not report its financial details separately.
However, we can get a glimpse of its performance by looking at the financial results of Chubb Limited’s North America segment, which includes the INA and other businesses.
Here are some key figures for the year 2020:
|Net premiums written
|Net premiums earned
|Net investment income
The combined ratio is a measure of profitability that compares the number of claims and expenses to the number of premiums.
A ratio below 100% indicates an underwriting profit, while a ratio above 100% indicates an underwriting loss.
The INA and its parent company have consistently achieved low combined ratios, reflecting their underwriting discipline and risk management.
Subsidiary of Insurance Company of North America
The INA has several subsidiaries that operate under its name or different brands.
Some of these subsidiaries are:
- INA Reinsurance Company: A reinsurance company that provides reinsurance solutions to the INA and other Chubb businesses
- INA Surplus Insurance Company is a surplus lines insurance company that offers specialty insurance products and services to customers who cannot obtain coverage in the standard market.
- INA Life Insurance Company is a life insurance company that offers life, health, and annuity products to individuals and groups.
- INA Financial Services Corporation: A financial services company that provides investment management, trust, and banking services to the INA and other Chubb businesses.
- INA International Holdings Ltd. is a holding company that owns and operates various insurance and reinsurance companies in foreign countries.
Claim Process and Headquarters of Insurance Company of North America
The claim process of the INA is designed to be fast, fair, and easy for its customers.
You can also contact your agent or broker for assistance.
You will need to provide some basic information about your policy and your loss, such as:
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address
- Your policy number and effective date
- The date, time, location, and cause of the loss
- The names and contact information of any witnesses or other parties involved
- The details and estimates of any damage or injury
Once you report your claim, you will receive a confirmation email with your claim number and the name and contact information of your claim representative.
Your claim representative will guide you through the claim process and answer any questions you may have.
They will also arrange for an inspection of the damage or injury, if needed, and review your coverage and deductibles.
Both will then evaluate your claim and determine the amount of payment, if any, based on your policy terms and conditions.
The headquarters of the INA are located at 436 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106.
This is also the historic building where the INA was founded in 1792.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features a museum that showcases the history and achievements of the INA.
Customer reviews about Insurance Company of North America
The INA has received many positive reviews from its customers, who appreciate its quality products, excellent service, and prompt claim handling. Here are some examples of customer testimonials from various sources:
- “I have been with INA for over 20 years, and they have always been there for me when I needed them. They have great rates, friendly agents, and fast claim processing. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for insurance.”
- “INA is a great company to work with. They have a lot of options for different types of coverage, and they are very flexible and accommodating. They are also very responsive and helpful when I have questions or issues.”
- “INA is one of the best insurance companies I have ever dealt with. They are very professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. They handled my claim quickly and fairly, without any hassle or delay. I am very satisfied with their service.”
Table of Ratings for the Insurance Company of North America
The INA has also received high ratings from various rating agencies that evaluate its financial strength, stability, and performance.
Here are some examples of ratings as of April 2021:
|Standard & Poor’s
|AA (Very Strong)
|Aa3 (High Quality)
These ratings reflect the INA’s strong capitalization, diversified portfolio, solid underwriting results, and competitive position in the insurance market.
The Insurance Company of North America is a reputable and pioneering insurance provider that has been catering to its customers for over 200 years.
It offers an extensive range of insurance products and services, backed by its financial stability, strength, and reputation.
Additionally, it is a part of the Chubb Group, a global leader in property and casualty insurance.
If you are searching for a reliable and trustworthy insurance partner, you should consider the Insurance Company of North America.
- In-depth Knowledge: Knight boasts extensive expertise in various insurance domains, making him a go-to authority on InsuranceBlob.com.
- Renowned Expertise: Renowned for his systematic research, clear writing, and practical advice, Knight consistently delivers valuable insights tailored to your insurance needs.
- Solid Foundation: With a bachelor’s degree in political science and sociology, Knight brings a unique perspective and wealth of experience to his insurance writing.
- Real-World Insights: Knight’s diverse academic background and real-world understanding ensure the platform remains a reliable source for insightful and practical information.
Why choose Knight?
- Impartiality and Accuracy: Knight delivers unbiased and comprehensive information on various insurance products, helping you make informed decisions.
- Tailored Content: Whether you’re a seasoned insurance professional or starting your journey, Knight’s content caters to your specific needs and knowledge level.
- Valuable Insights: Gain valuable insights that empower you to navigate the complex world of insurance with confidence.