Relax on Vacation, Not About Insurance: Best Holiday Home Coverage Options

Having a holiday home can make your dreams come true but getting the best insurance is a nightmare.

It’s where you can get away, make memories with loved ones, and even earn money by renting it out.

But owning a second home means you’ve got to take care of it, especially when it comes to insurance.

Your holiday home faces the same risks as your main one, so you need insurance to keep it safe.

Regular home insurance usually doesn’t cover holiday homes, but you can get a special insurance policy to protect your second home.

Happy family near the new house. Real estate concept. PHOTO CREDIT: Freepik.


Why standard home insurance isn’t enough

Regular home insurance isn’t good enough because insurance companies usually say your place can’t be empty for more than 30 days a year.

This means most holiday homes aren’t covered.

But holiday homes are often empty for a long time, which makes them more likely to get broken into or damaged.

For example, if a pipe starts leaking when you’re not there, you might not know until there’s a lot of water damage.

Holiday home insurance is made for these kinds of situations.


What Does Holiday Home Insurance Entail?

Holiday home insurance, similar to regular home insurance, has two parts: it covers buildings and contents.

But, if you rent out your holiday home to others, there are extra things you need to know.

Buildings cover

This insurance is very important because it keeps your vacation house safe from things like fires, storms, and floods.

The bank usually asks you to get this insurance if you owe money on your second property.

But even if you fully own your vacation home, it’s smart to have it to safeguard your investment.

Contents cover

You don’t have to get contents insurance, but it’s a good idea to think about it.

Even if you don’t keep lots of valuable stuff at your vacation home, it’s smart to protect whatever you do have.

Burglary is more likely at an empty holiday home, so it’s important to be prepared.

Additional considerations for rental properties

If you rent out your vacation home, you should get holiday lettings insurance.

This insurance protects against things like accidental damage and theft that might happen when guests stay in your place.

Accidental damage coverage is especially helpful if you have guests often because they might not be as careful as you are.

Also, if you have employees like cleaners or gardeners, you might need employers’ liability insurance.


What Are The Key Considerations When Insuring Overseas Holiday Homes?

Can you get insurance for your vacation home if it’s in another country?

Yes, lots of companies will cover homes abroad, but they might only do it for certain countries.

Remember, insurance rules can be different overseas, and there might be things they won’t cover, like earthquake damage in some places.

Sometimes it’s good to go with a local insurance company, but make sure they’re trustworthy and give you documents in English.

What should my holiday home insurance cover?

Buildings and contents cover – Protects the structure of your holiday home and your possessions stored in it.

Accidental damage cover – Shields you from unexpected damage caused by you or your guests.

Alternative accommodation – Provides a temporary place to stay if your holiday home becomes uninhabitable and you can’t use it.

Emergency travel – Covers the cost of transporting you to your holiday home to deal with issues like a burst pipe or a fire.

24-hour emergency helpline – Offers urgent help with claims.

Unusual building types – Covers structures like chalets and log cabins, depending on the policy.

Loss of income – Helps if you usually leave your holiday home but can’t do so because it’s been damaged.

Public liability – Covers the cost of legal action against you if someone is injured or suffers a loss on your property.

Employer liability – Necessary if you rent your second home out and employ anyone, like a cleaner or gardener.

Legal expenses – Assists with the cost of legal disputes that may occur between you and neighbors or guests.

How Can Holiday Home Insurance Costs Be Minimized?

Want to spend less on your vacation house insurance?

Follow these tips:

1. Keep your property in good shape:

This stops it from getting damaged and protects it from bad weather.

2. Boost security:

Install a burglar alarm and strong locks.

This can scare off thieves and might lower your insurance costs.

3. Increase your excess:

If you can afford it, choose a higher excess.

This might mean you pay less for your insurance, but be sure you can still afford it if you need to claim.

4. Stick with one insurer:

Get both your building and contents cover from the same company. This could save you money.

5. Pay yearly:

It might seem easier to pay monthly, but paying once a year could be cheaper in the long run.


Owning a holiday home requires specialized insurance due to extended vacancies and rental activities. Standard home insurance isn’t sufficient.

Holiday home insurance covers buildings, contents, and liabilities.

Additional considerations for rental properties and overseas homes exist.

To minimize costs, maintain property condition, enhance security, increase excess, consolidate coverage, and opt for annual payments.


  1. Finding the Best Candle Maker Insurance : The Flickering Flame of Security
  2. Maxum Indemnity Company, Connecticut (CT): Company Details, Products, Careers

  3. Infinity Insurance Company, Indiana ( IN): Contacts, Careers, Products and More

  4. Endurance Assurance Corporation, Delaware DE ): Contacts ,Products ,Tech and Online

Spread the love

Leave a Comment