Columbia’s Trusted Insurance Partner: Shelter Mutual Insurance Company.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company is one of the leading providers of insurance products and services in Missouri and other states.
In this blog post, we will review the company’s history, services, financial details, coverage, claims, legal and compliance, renewals and cancellations, company culture, and customer experiences.
We will also provide some outbound links to help you learn more about the company and its offerings.
Insurance Company Details
History and Founding Year:
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company was founded in 1946 as the Missouri Farmers Association Insurance Company, a subsidiary of the Missouri Farmers Association (MFA).
The company initially offered fire and automobile insurance to farmers in Missouri.
In 1981, the company changed its name to Shelter Insurance Companies and expanded its operations to other states.
Today, Shelter Insurance Companies consists of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company, Shelter General Insurance Company, Shelter Life Insurance Company, Shelter Reinsurance Company, and Shelter Financial Bank.
CEO and Leadership Team:
The current CEO and President of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company is Randa Rawlins, who assumed the role in January 2021.
She is the first woman to lead the company in its 75-year history.
Rawlins joined Shelter in 1992 as an associate attorney and has held various positions in the company, including Executive Vice President, Secretary, and General Counsel.
The company’s leadership team also includes Matt Moore (Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer), Doug Reynolds (Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer), and Rick Means (Chairman of the Board).
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company has a market share of 1.2% in Missouri, ranking fifth among the top 10 insurance companies in the state.
The company has over 1.5 million policyholders and more than $2.5 billion in assets.
The company operates in 20 states, including Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.
Here is a table that summarizes some of the basic information about Shelter Mutual Insurance Company:
|1817 West Broadway, Columbia, MO 65218
|Customer Service Contact
|Varies by product and state
|Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT
Services & Products
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company offers a wide range of insurance products and services to meet the needs of individuals, families, and businesses.
Some of the types of insurance offered by the company are:
- Auto insurance: This covers liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist, rental reimbursement, roadside assistance, and gap insurance.
- Home insurance: This covers dwelling, personal property, liability, medical payments, loss of use, and additional living expenses.
- life insurance: This covers term, whole, universal, and variable universal life insurance. T
- Farm insurance: This covers farm dwelling, farm personal property, farm liability, farm umbrella, farm auto, and farm life insurance.
- Business insurance: This covers business owners, commercial auto, commercial property, commercial liability, commercial umbrella, workers’ compensation, and business life insurance.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company also offers special packages or bundled services for customers who want to save money and simplify their insurance needs.
Some of the packages are:
- Shelter Plus: This is a package that combines auto, home, and life insurance with a single deductible and a single bill.
- Shelter Business Plus: This is a package that combines business owners, commercial auto, and business life insurance with a single deductible and a single bill.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company does not offer international coverage, but it does offer temporary or short-term policies for customers who need insurance for a specific period of time or a specific event.
Some of the temporary or short-term policies are:
- Travel insurance: This covers trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency medical, baggage loss, and travel assistance for customers who are traveling within or outside the United States.
- Event insurance: This covers liability, property damage, and medical payments for customers who are hosting or attending a special event, such as a wedding, a party, or a fundraiser.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company has a strong financial position and a solid reputation in the insurance industry.
The company has received high ratings from various rating agencies, such as A.M. Best, Standard & Poor’s, and Moody’s.
The company has also received awards and recognition from various organizations, such as J.D. Power, Forbes, and Ward Group.
Some of the financial details of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company are:
- Premium costs: The premium costs vary by product, state, coverage, deductible, and other factors.
- Payment options: The payment options include monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.
- Discounts and promotional offers: The discounts and promotional offers vary by product, state, and eligibility.
- Claim payout ratio: The claim payout ratio for Shelter Mutual Insurance Company is 67.4%, which is higher than the industry average of 62.1%.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company provides comprehensive and flexible coverage for its customers.
The company allows customers to choose from various options and add-ons to customize their coverage and meet their specific needs.
The company also provides clear and detailed information about the policy exclusions, coverage limits, and add-ons or riders.
Some of the coverage details of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company are:
- Policy exclusions: The policy exclusions vary by product and state, but some of the common exclusions are for intentional acts, fraud, war, nuclear hazards, wear and tear, and government actions.
- Coverage limits: The coverage limits vary by product and state, but some of the common limits are for liability, property damage, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist.
- Add-ons or riders: The add-ons or riders vary by product and state, but some of the common add-ons or riders are for accidental death, disability income, waiver of premium, children’s term, identity fraud, water backup, personal injury, and equipment breakdown.
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company strives to provide fast and fair claims service to its customers.
The company has a dedicated and experienced team of claims representatives, adjusters, and appraisers who are available 24/7 to assist customers with their claims.
The company also has a network of preferred repair shops and contractors who can provide quality and timely repairs for customers’ vehicles and homes.
Some of the claim’s details of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company are:
- Claim process: The claim process is simple and convenient for customers. Customers can report a claim online, by phone, by email, by fax, or by contacting their agent.
- Required documents for claims: The required documents for claims vary by product and type of claim, but some of the common documents are for proof of loss, police report, medical bills, repair estimates, and photos of the damage.
- Average claim approval time: The average claim approval time depends on the complexity and severity of the claim, but the company aims to resolve most claims within 30 days or less.
Legal & Compliance
The policy explains how they collect, use, share and safeguard your information, as well as your choices and rights regarding your information.
- Terms and conditions: Shelter Insurance requires you to agree to their terms and conditions of use before accessing or using their website.
You can read their full terms and conditions here: Terms and Conditions.
The terms and conditions cover topics such as your responsibilities, limitations of liability, indemnification, dispute resolution and more.
Renewals & Cancellations
- Policy renewal process: Shelter Insurance will send you a renewal notice before your policy expires, indicating the premium amount and due date for your next policy term.
You can renew your policy by paying the premium online, by mail, by phone or through your agent.
Additionally, you can also set up automatic payments or enroll in paperless billing through your My Shelter account.
- Cancellation policy and fees: If you wish to cancel your policy, you can contact your agent or customer service and request a cancellation.
You may be asked to provide a written notice or a signed cancellation form.
Depending on your state and policy type, you may be charged a cancellation fee or a short-rate penalty for cancelling your policy before the expiration date.
You may also be entitled to a refund of any unused premium, which will be mailed to you or credited to your account.
- Grace periods: Shelter Insurance offers a grace period for late payments, which varies depending on your state and policy type.
- The grace period is the amount of time you have to pay your premium after the due date without losing your coverage.
If you do not pay your premium within the grace period, your policy may be cancelled, or your coverage may be reduced.
You can find the grace period for your policy on your declarations page, your billing statement or your policy contract.
Shelter Insurance has a culture that values professional development, work-life balance, teamwork and community involvement.
The company provides ongoing training, employee resource groups, flexible hours, paid time off and wellness programs for its employees.
The company also supports various volunteer activities, charitable causes and diversity initiatives.
Shelter Insurance aims to be a benefit to its customers, communities, employees and agents.
Customer Experiences and Reviews
- Review 1: I have been with Shelter for over 10 years, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable and trustworthy insurance company.
- Q: How do I file a claim with Shelter Insurance?
- A: You can file a claim with Shelter Insurance in several ways. You can call 1-800-SHELTER (743-5837) to report a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Medico Corp Life Insurance Company, Iowa: Overview, Contacts, Services, Finances, Coverage, Claims, Compliance, Renewal & Cancellations, Reviews
- Medical Security Insurance Company, North Carolina: Overview, Contacts, Services, Finances, Coverage, Claims, Compliance, Renewal & Cancellations, Reviews
- Medical Mutual Insurance Company of North Carolina, North Carolina: Overview, Contacts, Services, Finances, Coverage, Claims, Compliance, Renewal & Cancellations, Reviews
- Everest Indemnity Insurance Company, Delaware: Outline, Phone Number, Email Address, Services, Coverage, Claims & Customer Reviews
Insurance Writer, Insurance Blob
Former Insurance Writer, New York Times
JOINED INSURANCE BLOB
Benson Clyde, an experienced Insurance Writer at Insurance Blob, brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the realm of insurance. With a distinguished background as a former Insurance Writer at the New York Times, Benson’s writing journey has been marked by a commitment to providing valuable insights and information to a wide audience.
Benson’s writing career took a significant turn when he joined the esteemed New York Times as an Insurance Writer. During his tenure, he honed his skills in producing insightful and informative content related to the insurance industry, gaining recognition for his ability to break down complex concepts for readers.
In May 2023, Benson Clyde transitioned to Insurance Blob, marking a new chapter in his commitment to delivering high-quality and engaging insurance content. His experience and expertise contribute to the platform’s mission of educating and empowering readers with valuable insurance insights.