Unum Insurance Company, Maine (ME): Contact information, Claims, Services, Payments, Ratings, Careers, Login
Unum Insurance Company is one of the leading providers of employee benefits in the US, UK, Poland, and Ireland.
The company offers a range of products and services, such as disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance, as well as workplace leave management and mental health support.
In this article, we will review Unum’s claims process, services, payments, ratings, careers, login, ownership, dental insurance, full name, and lawsuit history.
|General inquiries: 1-866-679-3054
|Headquarters: 1 Fountain Square, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37402, United States
|Customer Service Contact
|Phone, email, mail, online—details on their website
|Insurance products: disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, vision, hospital, stop-loss insurance, leave and absence management, behavioral health support.
Specific policy details vary based on the chosen plan and terms. Policy documents are available online or through your employer or broker.
|General inquiries: email@example.com
|General inquiries: 503-221-2258
|Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding bank holidays. Online portals and mobile apps are available 24/7.
Unum Insurance Company Claims
If you have a Unum policy and need to file a claim, you have several options.
You can file online or with the mobile app, which is the fastest and easiest way.
You can also call the customer service number on your policy or invoice, or request a paper form to mail or fax.
Unum recommends that you get a pre-treatment estimate for services or treatments that cost more than $300, so you can know your coverage and out-of-pocket expenses in advance.
You can check the status of your claim and manage it online or with the app, where you can also set up direct deposit, update your information, upload documents, and view your policy details
Unum Insurance Company Services
Unum Insurance Company covers a range of insurance products and services that can help you protect your family, your finances, and your future.
Some of the coverages that Unum offers are:
- Disability insurance, which pays you a monthly benefit if you become disabled and unable to work due to an illness or injury
- Life insurance, which pays a lump-sum benefit to your beneficiaries if you die while covered by the policy
- Accident insurance, which pays a lump-sum benefit if you suffer a covered accidental injury, such as a fracture, dislocation, or concussion
- Critical illness insurance pays a lump-sum benefit if you are diagnosed with a covered critical illness, such as cancer, heart attack, or stroke
- Hospital insurance, which pays a lump-sum benefit if you are hospitalized due to a covered illness or injury
- Dental insurance, which reimburses you for the cost of dental care such as check-ups, fillings, crowns, and implants
- Vision insurance, which reimburses you for the cost of vision care such as eye exams, glasses, and contacts
Unum also provides solutions for your toughest workforce challenges, such as:
- Unum HR Connect, which connects your benefits with your HRIS platform to automate processes and keep everything up to date
- Unum Total Leave, which streamlines absence management for HR and makes leave easy and accessible for employees
- Unum Behavioral Health, which offers easy-to-access mental health resources that deliver provable results
Unum’s benefits can provide a safety net, helping to secure your finances when the unexpected happens.
You can learn more about Unum’s coverage and services on their website or by contacting your employer or broker.
Unum Insurance Company Payments
Unum offers convenient and flexible payment options for its policyholders.
You can pay your bill online through the secure website, MyUnum, where you can also set up AutoPay, sign up for paperless billing, and receive email notifications.
You also have an option to make a one-time payment with your billing number or policy number on the website
If you prefer to pay by mail, you can send a check or money order to their address.
Unum Insurance Company Ratings
Unum has received positive ratings from various rating agencies, such as:
- Fitch Ratings: Fitch revised Unum’s rating outlook to stable from negative in April 2021 and affirmed the insurer’s financial strength ratings of A- for Unum’s domestic subsidiaries and the long-term issuer default rating of BBB for Unum Group. Fitch cited Unum’s strong business profile, capitalization, leverage, and financial flexibility as key rating drivers
- AM Best: AM Best affirmed the financial strength rating of A and the long-term issuer credit ratings of “a” of Unum’s core U.S. life and health insurance subsidiaries in June 2021. AM Best also affirmed the long-term issuer credit rating of “bbb” of Unum Group. AM Best stated that Unum’s ratings reflect its balance sheet strength, operating performance, business profile, and enterprise risk management
- S&P Global Ratings: S&P upgraded Unum’s long-term issuer credit rating to BBB+ from BBB in July 2021 and affirmed the financial strength rating of A- for Unum’s core operating subsidiaries. S&P also revised Unum’s outlook to stable from positive. S&P said that Unum’s upgrade reflects its improved capital adequacy, earnings resilience, and risk management
Besides the good ratings, the company has received some negative feedback from its policyholders, though it is minimal.
Unum Insurance Company Careers
Unum is a great place to work if you are looking for a rewarding career in the employee benefits industry.
The company offers competitive compensation and benefits, such as health and wellness programs, retirement savings plans, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, flexible work arrangements, mentoring, and world-class development opportunities.
The company also has a strong culture of diversity, inclusion, and social responsibility and supports various causes and initiatives that make a positive impact in the communities where it operates.
Unum has been recognized as one of the best employers by various organizations, such as Forbes, Fortune, Working Mother, and Disability. IN
Unum Insurance Company Login
If you are a Unum policyholder, you can access your account online through the Unum website or the mobile app.
You can log in with your user ID and password, or use Unipass if you have it.
If you are a new user, you can create an account by providing some basic information and verifying your identity.
Once you log in, you can manage your benefits, file and track claims, view your policy documents, and more
Who Owns Unum Insurance Company?
Unum Insurance Company is a subsidiary of Unum Group, a publicly traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol UNM.
The Group was created by the 1999 merger of Unum Corporation and The Provident Companies and comprises four distinct businesses: Unum US, Unum UK, Unum Poland, and Colonial Life.
Unum Group is owned by its shareholders, who elect the board of directors and have voting rights on major corporate decisions.
Lately, the largest shareholders of Unum Group were The Vanguard Group, BlackRock, State Street Corporation, and Wellington Management Company.
Unum Dental Insurance
Unum Dental Insurance is a product that covers routine care such as cleanings and exams as well as more costly dental work like crowns and bridges.
The cover reimburses you for eligible treatments up to the policy limits, and you can visit any dentist you choose.
However, you can save money by using a provider in Unum’s national network, where the services are discounted.
Unum Dental Insurance also offers virtual dental visits, where you can access a dentist 24/7 when your regular dentist is not available or you need after-hours care
What is the full name of Unum Insurance?
The full name of Unum Insurance is Unum Insurance Company, which is the legal name of the company that underwrites the policies sold by Unum US. Unum Insurance Company is licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Does Unum pay you?
Unum pays you benefits if you have a valid claim under your policy.
The amount and duration of your benefits depend on the type of policy you have, the level of coverage you selected, and the terms and conditions of your policy.
For example, if you have a disability insurance policy, Unum pays you a monthly benefit based on a percentage of your income if you become disabled and unable to work.
The benefit amount and the waiting period before you start receiving payments vary depending on your policy.
Unum pays you benefits either by direct deposit to your bank account or by check
What are the benefits of working at Unum?
Working at Unum has many benefits, such as:
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including health and wellness programs, retirement savings plans, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, and more.
- Flexible work arrangements allow you to balance your work and personal life.
- Mentoring and development opportunities, such as on-the-job training, online courses, leadership programs, and career coaching, help you grow your skills and advance your career.
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives, such as employee resource groups, diversity councils, and affinity networks, foster a culture of respect, belonging, and collaboration.
- Social responsibility programs, such as volunteerism, charitable giving, and environmental sustainability, enable you to make a positive difference in the communities where you live and work
Unum Insurance Company Lawsuit
Unum Insurance Company has faced several lawsuits over the years, mainly related to its handling of disability claims.
Some of the allegations against Unum include:
- Denying or delaying valid claims without proper justification or investigation
- Using biased or outdated medical opinions or guidelines to evaluate claims.
- Misinterpreting or ignoring the evidence or the policy terms in favor of denial.
- Terminating or reducing benefits without sufficient cause or notice
- Engaging in fraud and bad-faith practices
One of the most notable lawsuits against Unum was a class action suit filed by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in 2004, which resulted in a multi-state settlement agreement that required Unum to reassess more than 200,000 denied or terminated claims, pay $15 million in fines, and make significant changes to its claims handling procedures.
The settlement also established an independent review process for claimants who disagreed with Unum’s decisions.
Unum Insurance Company is a leading provider of employee benefits, but it has also been involved in many lawsuits over its claims handling practices, fraud, and data breaches.
The company has been accused of denying or delaying valid claims, using unfair or outdated criteria, ignoring or misinterpreting the evidence, and terminating or reducing benefits without cause.
Cybercriminals have exposed the sensitive data of Unum’s customers and employees, and the company is facing a lawsuit for this.
If you found this article impressive, be sure to follow our blog page for more engaging articles.
I am Evans, an insurance expert with a deep-rooted passion for helping people understand the world of insurance. With about 2 years of experience, I’ve dedicated my career to simplifying complex insurance concepts and providing tailored solutions. I have the knowledge and expertise to guide individuals and businesses in making informed insurance decisions, thanks to my educational background in finance and risk management and my Bachelor’s degree in Insurance and Risk Management from Columbia University. I believe that insurance is not just about policies; it’s about safeguarding dreams and ensuring financial security. I’m committed to sharing my insights and knowledge to empower others to protect what matters most.