What Insurance Covers Invisalign
Invisalign is a popular option for people who want to straighten their teeth without metal braces.
Invisalign uses clear, removable aligners that are custom-made for your teeth.
They are comfortable, discreet, and effective.
However, they are also expensive, costing between $3,000 and $8,000 on average.
That’s why many people wonder what insurance covers Invisalign and how to reduce the cost of treatment.
How Invisalign Works
Before we dive into the insurance details, let’s briefly explain how Invisalign works.
Invisalign treatment consists of the following steps:
- You visit an Invisalign-trained dentist or orthodontist for a consultation. They will examine your teeth, take digital scans or impressions, and create a personalized treatment plan for you.
- You receive a series of clear aligners that are designed to gradually move your teeth into the desired position. You wear each set of aligners for about 22 hours a day, changing them every one or two weeks.
- You visit your dentist or orthodontist every six to eight weeks to monitor your progress and get new aligners. The total treatment time varies depending on your case, but it usually takes 12 to 18 months.
- You complete your treatment and enjoy your new smile. You may need to wear retainers to maintain your results.
Types of Insurance That Cover Invisalign
Two main types of insurance may cover Invisalign:
- Dental Insurance
- Health insurance
Let’s look at each one in more detail.
Dental insurance is a type of insurance that covers dental services, such as exams, cleanings, fillings, crowns, and extractions.
Some dental insurance plans also cover orthodontic services, such as braces and Invisalign.
However, not all dental insurance plans are the same.
Some may cover Invisalign fully, partially, or not at all.
Some may have age limits, waiting periods, deductibles, copays, or annual maximums.
Others may require pre-authorization or referrals.
Therefore, it is important to check your specific plan’s benefits and limitations before starting Invisalign treatment.
According to Invisalign, “many dental insurance plans cover Invisalign treatment the same way they cover braces.”
This means that if your plan covers orthodontic treatment, it may cover up to a certain percentage or dollar amount of your Invisalign cost.
The best way to find out what your dental insurance covers for Invisalign is to contact your provider and ask them.
You can also use the My Invisalign app to see how much your dental insurance will cover for Invisalign treatment.
Health insurance is a type of insurance that covers medical services, such as doctor visits, prescriptions, hospitalizations, and surgeries.
Some health insurance plans also cover orthodontic services, such as braces and Invisalign.
However, this is less common than dental insurance, and it usually depends on the medical necessity of the treatment.
For example, if you have a severe bite problem that affects your speech, chewing, or breathing, your health insurance may cover some or all of your Invisalign cost.
However, if you have a mild cosmetic issue, your health insurance may not cover any of your Invisalign costs.
The best way to find out what your health insurance covers for Invisalign is to contact your provider and ask them.
This way, you can know in advance how much your insurance will cover and how much you will pay out of pocket.
Invisalign is a great way to improve your smile and your confidence.
However, it can also be a big investment.
That’s why it is important to know what insurance covers Invisalign and how to save on your costs.
- How Much Are Teeth Cleaning Without Insurance: The Unsure Smile.
- Who Is Responsible For Assembling The Policy Forms For Insureds
- Does Medicare Pay for Orthotics? The Surprising Truth Revealed
- Reclast and Medicare: The Definitive Guide to Coverage Criteria
Diana: An accomplished insurance expert
Diana is an accomplished insurance professional, holding a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Risk Management and Insurance) from the University of Central Missouri.
With a solid educational foundation, she has seamlessly blended her academic prowess with practical industry knowledge.
Diana’s specialization is in the following areas:
- Risk Management
- Insurance Policies Decoded
- Industry Trends and Insights
- Practical Tips for Policyholders
- Thoughtful Analysis of Insurance Markets
With over 5 years in the insurance sector, Diana’s professional journey has been a dynamic exploration of various domains.
Her roles have equipped her with a holistic understanding of the industry, from underwriting intricacies to claims processing efficiency.
Diana is committed to demystifying insurance for her readers.
Her articles serve as practical guides, empowering individuals and businesses to make informed decisions.
Join Diana on Medium